Saturday 30 November 2013

Spell Mage Hearthstone Deck

I thought I'd take some time to go through a deck I've been playing with in Hearthstone that I've found very successful. In card games I've always preferred control decks that remove the enemy minions and then use powerful minions or spells to deal the damage. This deck is built around that and has won around 70% of games. The list is as follows:

2 x Arcane Missiles
2 x Arcane Explosion
1 x Frost Nova
1 x Amani Berserker
1 x Ironbeak Owl
1 x Kobold Geomancer
2 x Dalaran Mage
2 x Ironfur Grizzly
2 x Fireball
2 x Polymorph
2 x Chillwind Yeti
1 x Azure Drake
1 x Booty Bay Bodyguard
2 x Darkscale Healer
2 x Archmage
1 x Gelbin Mekkatorque
1 x Lord of the Arena
2 x Flamestrike
1 x Deathwing
1 x Sea Giant

There are several things that are completely optional. First is the two legendary cards in the deck. Gelbin Mekkatorque and Deathwing are the only two legendary cards I have, and I am considering taking Mekkatorque out as he can help the enemy as well as you with his random inventions. Deathwing can be swapped for another heavy hitter, but I like the removal he provides.

My basic strategy depends on the first hand I am dealt. Ideally you want either Arcane Missiles or Arcane Explosions and the Kobold Geomancer. Should you not get that however, any small minions that can be used to delay play (Ironfur Grizzlys are particularly good). Then it is simply a matter of surviving until you have enough spell damage to use Fireballs to damage the enemy hero or throw the Sea Giant or Deathwing out to swing for fatal.

As an example of just how effective this deck is at the moment, I faced a hunter who was using the Chanman style of play (small creatures being buffed by Unleash the Hounds). Fortunately I was able to use my Booty Bay Bodyguard and Lord of the Arena minions to stay alive for another turn. I top decked my Sea Giant who ended up only costing 2 mana due to all the minions on the board. Throwing him out, I then used Flamestrike to clear the board and win the game on the next turn.

Most games end up going somewhat along this path, with you holding on with less than 10 health (my craziest game I was matched up against another mage and won with 2 health), and swinging for fatal with either the Sea Giant, Deathwing or a Fireball.

Hopefully when the open beta comes around, this will help you to win some games.

As always,

GAME ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment